Monday, May 26, 2008

In Memoriam- Memorial Day

It's sad to think about the years that pass without the ones we have lost- all the memories we create, all the funny or weird things that happen that we wish to share with them, but cannot. I miss my grandparents, great aunt and uncle, a special teacher, a couple of sweet and special friends. I don't usually grieve for anyone until July, though. Don't ask me why- to me, it is the month that my whole life cycles.

I believe that death is not a bad thing. It's not an end, it's just a transition. Yes, life goes on, but it's the little things our loved ones taught us about living life that stay with us. In our memories, they are immortal, so long as we don't forget to remember them.

This is the Samhain of Western Civilization. I think that there is a part of Memorial Day left unspoken. There are many feasts. What do most people do after they visit their loved ones' final resting places? They live- they feast- they love- and in this celebration, a subconscious desire to fulfill the cycle of life. Therein lies true beauty, for in this we fulfill our True Wills.

0 comments: